a special treatment approach for patients with Parkinson's Disease.
LSVT BIG is an intensive, amplitude focused physical and occupational therapy approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson' specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD.
Research on LSVT BIG has documented improved ratings on tests of motor functioning in people with Parkinson disease following treatment including:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk rotation
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility
- Improved UPDRS Motor Score
LSVT BIG is a standardized treatment protocol, which is customized to the unique goals of each patient includindg both gross and fine motor skills. LSVT BIG can be adapted or progressed in order to meet each patient's needs across a range of disease severity and presenting impairments.
LSVT BIG treatments consists of:
- 16 Sessions: 4 consecutive days a week for 4 weeks
- Individual 1 hour sessions
- Daily homework practice
- Daily carryover exercises
If you or a loved one is affected by Parkinson's disease, talk to your Physician about prescribing LSVT BIG.